Question Home

Position:Home>Philosophy> What do you think about the excerpt from Whitehead's "Wisdom"?

Question: What do you think about the excerpt from Whitehead's "Wisdom"!?
I am writing a paper in philosophy, and would like to maybe see some other peoples opinions on this:

What does Whitehead mean when he says that, “Knowledge shrinks as wisdom grows!?”

I think it's like an iceberg!. You only see about 10% of it, and you may never see the other 90%!. You must have knowledge to have wisdom, but you can't have wisdom without knowledge!. As you get older, you begin to realize that it isn't important how much math you can do, but how you can apply things to your life!.

I don't know, maybe I am completely wrong!. What do you think when you see "Knowledge Shrinks as Wisdom Grows!."Www@QuestionHome@Com

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker:
There was a famous quote from Socrates that I can not remember for the life of me!.

But it basically said "the more knowledge I gain, the more humble I become"!.

He was referring to the fact, that the more he learned and the wiser he became, the more he realized, how little he knew and understood!.

That is how I would understand the quote!. That knowledge is just the small details of things, while wisdom the large picture of things!. So as we gain more wisdom it puts less importance on the details!.

On a side note, I agree with your comment!. It's not about the things you can recite out of a book, but more of if you can apply those things to real life!. This is what an IQ test should be based on and not a bunch of random facts of the world!.Www@QuestionHome@Com

I know how to make a cake, I've read the directions (knowledge), but it may take me 5 times of doing it to learn what not to do and what to do different (wisdom)!. Once I have learned through trial and error on how to make this cake then I go off my instincts and just finally do!. Hope this helps!.Www@QuestionHome@Com

No it doesn't!. If a person has acquired wisdom, which, by the way, is NOT something that comes with age!.!.!.nor is it an intellectual plateau, then knowlege comes much faster and more compressed!.

Whitehead was probably trying to sound profound!. He'd look at himself in the mirror, all puffed up, his hair perfect, and he'd be like "I'm Alfred Lord Whitehead, by God!"Www@QuestionHome@Com

He's talking about the importance of trivia vs applicable knowledge!.!.Www@QuestionHome@Com